Urgent help

If you need urgent help

Please be aware that none of our helplines offer a crisis or emergency service. 

Immediate risk or danger

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, contact emergency services, such as the police. 

Telephone: 999
Textphone users: 18000

Urgent medical attention

If you or someone you know needs urgent medical attention, or is suicidal, go to the Accident and Emergency (A&E) department of any hospital or make an emergency GP appointment.

If you need urgent medical advice, call:

  • NHS on 111 if you live in England or Scotland 
  • NHS on 0845 46 47 if you live in Wales (or 111 if you live in Hywel Dda, Powys, Aneurin Bevan and Swansea Bay - including Bridgend).
  • your trust’s GP out of hours in Northern Ireland. 

Safeguarding concerns 

Our charity does not have authority under UK legislation to investigate, assess or intervene in cases of abuse or neglect.
If you or someone you know may be at risk of abuse or neglect, contact your local children or adult safeguarding services to report your concerns. 

You can find their contact details by typing into Google: “[your local authority/trust* name] [ adult/child] safeguarding team].”
Ensure the web page is specific to your local authority or trust by checking it ends in .gov.uk or .hscni.net in Northern Ireland.
*Use your trust name if you live in Northern Ireland. 

Help with mental health issues

If you are having a difficult time, you can call the Samaritans any time, day or night, on 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org

Other helplines and listening services: 

  • Mind Infoline: 0300 1233393 for information and signposting (9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday) 
  • SANEline: 0300 304 7000 for anyone experiencing a mental health problem or supporting someone else (4.30pm to 10.30pm, every day)
  • Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) – for men 0800 58 58 58, (5pm to midnight every day).  
  • Shout 85258 a free, confidential, 24/7 text messaging support service for anyone who is struggling to cope.

These services are delivered by other charities.  Information about each service, including their privacy policies, can be found on each of their websites.